Queen Creek Unified School District (QCUSD) has always been dedicated to educating students about the history of the United States and the dedication and sacrifice made by our courageous military servicemen and women.
QCUSD furthers this education through the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC) program, which is offered to students at Queen Creek High School. Students involved in this program learn the essential skills and values needed to serve in the military, including positive leadership, effective communication, service to the community and personal responsibility.
In observance of Veterans Day during the second week of November, QCUSD demonstrates its deep appreciation for veterans by taking time to celebrate and give thanks by holding ceremonies, assemblies and parades.
This year, follows is what our schools did to honor veterans:
- Desert Mountain Elementary - Held a school-wide assembly outside. A guest speaker opened the event followed by a performance by the band and choir.
- Frances Brandon-Pickett Elementary - Hosted a school-wide morning assembly in the gym with a choir performance. Student council presented the six branches with a slide show.
- Faith Mather Sossaman Elementary - Held a school-wide assembly inside their gym. A video performance by fourth grade was shared with all classrooms and families.
- Gateway Polytechnic Academy - Fourth graders put on a concert in the gym followed by a slideshow honoring veterans.
- Jack Barnes Elementary - Held an assembly featuring a first grade concert and a slideshow honoring veterans.
- Queen Creek Elementary - Held a school-wide Veterans Day assembly with each grade level singing a song from each military branch. The assembly also featured a guest speaker.
- Silver Valley Elementary - Hosted a breakfast for veterans followed by a Veterans Day assembly with a performance by the fourth grade featuring JROTC, bagpipes and a drummer.
- Katherine Mecham Barney Elementary - Held a reception for veterans following a school-wide assembly in the gym featuring music performances from students.
- Schnepf Elementary - Hosted a school-wide assembly featuring fourth graders in a special performance.
- Queen Creek Junior High School - Invited veterans in the community to their annual Veterans Day ceremony.
- Newell Barney High School - Held its annual Veterans Day ceremony honoring military service men and women in the community.
- Eastmark High School - Held a Military Appreciation Night as well as a Veterans Day breakfast to give thanks.
- Queen Creek High School - Host the annual Veterans Day parade featuring the JROTC Color Guard and local public safety agencies.
- Crismon High School - Hosted a breakfast for veterans with a performance from the school band.